This page will forward to the new random process site in seconds.
Go now! | Stay here!

WFT?

Since I'm really not feeling too creative right now, I've come up with this (definitely) cryptic post name. Can YOU figure it out?

In other news, I'm home for the weekend. Actually came home on the bus and skipped physics lecture because of that. Aren't I a badass? Aside from missing half a lecture for my co-op interview, I've actually attended every single class so far this year. Too bad it hasn't helped me much. We're actually done covering all the material that's required for physics now and we're just doing practice problems during physics lectures. It's fun to know that our classes are all about doing problem sets with absolutely no meaning in the real world. Let me give you an example. (concocted, but realistic)

An unknown mass is hung on a pulley which is attached to the ceiling by a spring. That pulley is then attached to a rod which gets spun when the mass moves which in turn pulls a piece of string attached to another mass resting on an incline with a coefficient of friction of 0.3. Please calculate the distance the block will fall before attaining kinetic energy equivalent to the potential chemical energy found in a 50g chocolate bar.

Ok, so I totally made that up, but in all seriousness, they may as well be that absurd. The only two classes which are even slightly practical are ECE150 and GENE167. One is our programming class and the other is the general engineering class. Oh that reminds me, we were learning a bit about businesses and entrepreneurship in class Thursday for our GENE167 lecture. Oh that brough back a whole bunch of great memories from Economics class at the Gray with Mark Holton as well as the JA company we had (the site's gone, RIP). We were talking about small business, corporations, shares and whatnot. I was ripping up the questions he was asking. Oh it was great.

But it made me realize something. I don't think I'm cut out for the technical guy's job. I love business and management and working with people. Oh I want to be in the technology sector for sure, but I definitely don't want to be the guy in the white cleansuits working in a closed off lab. I thrive on working with others and looking at the big picture. It's often times very easy to lose sight of your goals when you're slamming through those damn calculus integration problem sets. What do I want to do when I grow up? Solve huge ass multi-variable integral problems? Hells no. I want to be in the tech business. Let's put it this way. I love technology and I want to see it advance. I also love business so what better way to do everything I love by combining the two. Maybe I'll start up a new company (like back in the internet bubble days =P) or try to move my way up the corporate ladder into a position where I can actually have some influence in the company as a whole. For some reason, I had this feeling I was gonna be a complete nerd type guy when I grew up. Nope, not cut out for that honestly. I'm planning on taking a managerial or business option with my engineering degree. Then I'll go do my graduate studies and hopefully with the research I do, I'll be able to jump start something. Then I'll have an idea and the management abilities as well. Oh it all sounds so nice right now, but who knows. Maybe I'll drop out of school after next semester. =P

Oh but then I was talking to my Dad today about how much I hate politics and whatever. That'll be another post for another time. Anyways, basically he told me that if you're going to be in business, you'll get into politics anyways. Essentially the only way to avoid some sort of politics (office politics are just as bad if not worse) is to go completely technical. But meh, that just doesn't appeal to me. It's everyone's lust for power. Me included. I'm not saying I don't want power... MWAHAHAHA.

I'm listening to Coldplay's X & Y album right now and that definitely brings back good memories. *shivers* Good times.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Rene wrote at 11/27/2005 12:08 a.m.

Mmm, Blogger updates. They're like my drug.
Anyway, I totally get what you're saying. Growing up I wanted nothing more than to work for the Canadian Space Agency and be an astronaut. I held onto this dream until I was in grade 10 when I realized I wasn't cut out for it and wanted to do something else.    



Blogger Nick wrote at 11/28/2005 3:32 a.m.

I never could really believe you would be one of those cleansuit guys:P Well if you want to do everything you love here's an idea...Open a research facility that's open to the public and they can come in an play with/buy new technologies, you can run the company and play piano in the lobby while they shop:D

Cheers to anyone who doesn't know what they are going to end up doing, and really doesn't care in the least. I don't even know what I'm doing 5 min from now. Maybe I'll go frollic in the snow...just over a metre now!!!!!!!!111

mmmm...coldplay    



Blogger Reese wrote at 11/28/2005 8:10 a.m.

Everytime I hear that album all I can think of is Charlie, Nick and Mike in Nick's basement. I get such a vivid mental picture, it's insane.

It's cool that I'm not the only one.

And I have zero idea as well as to what the rest of my life entails. One thing for sure: travel. That's about it.

So now while Nick frolicks in the snow, I'm going to lay out my swimmers for the beach tomorrow.... :P    



Blogger Charlie wrote at 11/28/2005 8:54 p.m.

It's funny really. I remember back in like grade 10 and 11 when I'd get all worried because I didn't yet know what I wanted to do. Now that I think about it, I'm still not exactly sure what I want to do. Sure I'm in computer engineering (for now) but there are still so many opportunities and different paths you can take.

And I'm not one bit worried anymore.    



» Post a Comment