This page will forward to the new random process site in seconds.
Go now! | Stay here!

Holy Crap

Good gosh, I haven't posted in what seems likes ages to me. Maybe to you if you read this thing at all... So maybe I should update you with what's going on around here.

You may or may not know but I'm staying here at Nick's place. It's surprising that many people didn't know that. Maybe I neglected to tell them. In any case, it's been relatively busy these days. Many practices for our jazz combo and the Charlottetown Jazz Ensemble. The PEI Jazz and Blues Festival's fast approaching and I'm playing at three venues. Two of them are with the Charlottetown Jazz and I'm fairly well concealed in a mass of about 20 players. Not too much to worry about there. We're actually playing starting at midnight on Saturday so that should be fun. Playing for a bunch of a drunk people is always entertaining and the tune's we're playing are all pretty kickass. Not to mention the fact that there's gonna be some world class musicians playing with us. Pretty awesome in general.

Now the tough one is our combo. We're opening for the Jive Kings reunion concert on Sunday. If you're not from the area, you'll have no clue who the Jive Kings are. It's a local band whose players actually switch from time to time. They had stopped playing as the group quite a few years ago, but I'm guessing due to popular request, they've decided to get back together for one most show. To say the least, they're pretty well known here and there should be quite a lot of people there. So how does this involve me or the combo? We're opening for them. Yes, that's right, we're opening for the Jive Kings. I think the most people we've ever played in front of would have been at some music festival in front of maybe 100 of our fellow band members. This performance will be in front of more like 1000+ people we don't know. Should provide entertainment for the people who enjoy watching people crap themselves on stage at least. We're practicing and pulling out all the stops to provide something more than the cocktail music we usually play on the Row in front of the restaurants. This time they'll be focused on us instead of how to start their chicken fajita..

In anycase, we've actually had a first for the combo. Nick and I arranged an arranged version of the Beatles' "And I Love Her" for our performance. It sounds pretty good and we'll hopefully use it for the opening show. Now that I think of it, it'll probably be the last arrangement we do as well for our group. Sunday will be the last time our combo will play with its original members. It's kind of coincidental that it will probably be the biggest gig we'll ever have as a combo. Should make for an exciting ending to something I've really enjoyed doing over the past 3 years.

Aside from that, I've actually been getting quite a bit of excercise recently. I've played some tennis and had an intense (well, sort of...) game of Ultimate Frisbee. I could definitely feel some soreness of the muscles, which really tells you how little I excercise or something like that. Now, I'm not a fat slob or anything, in fact I'm quite skinny, but I just don't lend well to excercise. I actually enjoy physical activity; it's just I hate excercising for the sake of excercising.

I've also been playing a ton of Rome Total War. Damn, those creators knew what they were doing when they made the game. It's addictive as hell and its replayability is like no other. Every campaign is different depending on who you feel like decimating first. Anyways, world domination is something every guy enjoys. =P

I see that I was going to write a review for the Creative Zen Micro there on the sidebar. Well, it's just my luck that I seemed to have run into some troubles with it. It seems like it doesn't want to connect and be recognized by my computer very much. Maybe it's scared to know that it's going to be filled with music downloaded off that Russian site. Hehe... Either way, it works sporadically which is a piss off and I can't really even say what the problem is. I've contacted the Creative support team and while they've been quick to help, their tips are kind of useless. They're asking me to install random programs and firmware that I've already got. Anyways, I've kind of given up on it as I know the Zen Micro in general are pretty buggy. This being the second one I've had, the first having crapped out totally (froze and I couldn't do ANYTHING with it no matter how many times I reset). I can see why Apple has such a damn large following. Their stuff just plain works which is sort of useful when you buy something. Too bad they're relatively featureless comparatively. As much as I'd hate to spend any more money on MP3 players (already have a Zen Micro 5GB, 3G IPod 15GB and a MPIO 512MB FL350) I do need a working one for university. The IRiver H10 5GB looks pretty enticing so far. I kind of wish there was an IPod Mini that incorporated the features of the Creative/Iriver and used iTunes. Now that would be the perfect combination between reliability and usability.

Now several of you have asked me why I haven't written anything about my new laptop on here. Well to tell you the truth, I've just been lazy plain and simple. I've actually written a long ass review at Notebook Forums. It's here for you geeks who actually want to know every nook and cranny. I'll be sure to write some random non-technical musings later on, but for now, this'll have to do. I don't want to write anything too specific in this post of general going-ons.

And here I am in my last days of being on the Island, the Island I've lived on and become part of over the last 12 years of my life (that's friggin 3/4 of my entire life...). It's definitely going to be extremely difficult to leave the people and the surroundings I'm so familiar with. I've been trying to live these remaining days (sounds like I'm about to die or something doesn't it?) here in total indulgance. I've thought about the money I've been spending away at Victoria Row eating at Fishbones almost daily and listening to great jazz, but in the end, why not enjoy what you have while you have it. It's too easy for those things to be taken away from you.

Here I sit in the grotesque heat listening to John Mayer's Split Screen Sadness thinking how appropriate this really is. I'll soon be far, far away from this place looking back upon the days with some sadness in my heart but also with joy that I have spent many great times here. This place holds something special for me and although I don't know when or under what circumstances it'll be, I will definitely return here to the Island at least to visit bygone friends and bygone places. I hope I'll still remember where the house I lived in is, if it's still there.

So here's to the end of one journey and beginning of another, hopefully as fruitful.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Reese wrote at 7/06/2005 8:46 p.m.

Well, I don't know what to say to you, because I am terrible with words, but I want you to know just how important your presence here and friendship with me has been thus far. I know you mean a lot to everyone, and it's hard to see you go, but, Oh! The Places You Will Go!!

I have faith in you to kick whatever Waterloo ass comes in your way, and even if you can't, there's a ton of people back here(where you spent 3/4 of your life) that will believe you even if you lie and say you did. I'll see you before you leave (cross fingers), but don't forget to keep in touch, even if all that means is updating your blog.

:)    



» Post a Comment