This page will forward to the new random process site in seconds.
Go now! | Stay here!

Procrastination Is Fun

One of my greatest failings: My tendency to procrastinate. It seems like in recent times it has gotten worse. I don't specifically remember having all that much trouble even as recently as grade 11. It really has been late grade 11 perhaps and mostly grade 12 that it's really become trouble.

Oh the examples I could give you from the past, such as applying to unversity, studying for exams, scholarships and so forth, but perhaps to really anchor it down, I've left something to the last minute and it's taken me all night to get a start on it. My jazz transcription.

You see one of the projects in our Jazz Studies class is to do a transcription of a solo. Essentially, you listen to a jazz tune and then rip the solo from it. Then you bring in the song (and your memory) to class and play the solo back along with the song. The goal is to basically cover up the solo being played on the CD and make it sound like you're soloing. This project is designed to help you develop your ears and perhaps learn a few licks in the process. Well it was a project assigned many weeks ago and I just started on it tonight. Yes, it's that bad.

So since about 8PM tonight, I've been hard at work, labouring, trying my hardest to get all the notes down at least so that I can have tomorrow to practice and memorize it. It wasn't until about 10 minutes ago that I finally got it all down. My eyes are dying and I think my brain's about to explode. But hey, these are the joys that are associated with procrastination. What a wonderful thing it is...

Why do I do it? Well I almost have an excuse this time. I've been really busy with musical. However, I can't say that I haven't had any free time. Far from it, but it's so much more appealing to be out in the sun and having some fun with cast and crew. Work isn't everything I guess. Unfortunately, most of the time, the reason for my procrastination can be traced back to solely laziness. Ugh.

They say the first step in solving a problem is acknowledging it. Well, I've done that now, so hopefully I can get myself better organized and maybe fulfill my obligations before the last possible moment. I'm sure I'd feel a lot less stressed if I did that too. Eh, who knows, but for now all I care about it getting some sleep. Sleeping in class after missing a week of school probably isn't the best thing to be doing. Toodles.

Charlie.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Nick wrote at 5/10/2005 3:42 p.m.

Tsk, tsk. You're a horrible failure chuck;) Acutally I just started mine last night as well. However, being the smart one I chose a Chris Botti tune invlolving very little technical prowess. You, on the other hand decided to do something that looks and sounds incredibly difficult! May I inquire as to why? It is Shawn after all. I was worried that my transcription was going to be too easy, but he listened to it today and said it was fine. I am saving the crazy one for next time when I will have time to work on it:)    



Blogger Charlie wrote at 5/10/2005 6:13 p.m.

Well I have had my mind set on this tune for a long while. The solo, while technically very difficult, also challenges me and after all I'm trying to get the most out of what I'm doing in school. It's not every day you can actually do something you enjoy for marks, so why not? I guess I should've started earlier, but hey, it always seems like it eventually gets done (even if I do stay up quite late to do it hehe...)    



Blogger Reese wrote at 5/10/2005 6:43 p.m.

Procrastination is probably the one thing I've really learned how to do properly at high school. As a matter of fact, it is also what I do best. Someday it will catch up to me, but I figure that if I don't care enough to do it right away, I don't care enough about it in general. Maybe I'll find something to inspire me out of my procrastination funk.

Exams start a month from today! (I'm sure I'll start studying before then... but maybe not)    



» Post a Comment