This page will forward to the new random process site in seconds.
Go now! | Stay here!

They're Coming Around

Bang, boom! I told ya so. Apple, it seems, is starting to see the light. After many, many years of the old one button mouse, they've finally succumbed to the pressure and added more function to their mice. Of course, even a new mouse requires the whole launch festivities and that's what you've got at the Apple website. Why you ask? Because they're the marketing geniuses of the world right? If they weren't, they'd be in the toilet right now cause the products themselves are really nothing to be excited about. So I present you, Mighty Mouse! (ok, where tf did that stupid ass name come from...)


(from Apple.com)

And didn't I say their marketing is pure genius at work? They've included what I can only call a scroll wheel, which has been around for years. However, they call their version of it the 'Scroll Ball' and basically present it as though they're the inventors and everyone else's is a cheap knockoff. What can you do with it? You can scroll up/down, sideways and diagonally. Oh hello Apple? My Microsoft wireless mouse does that (except the diagonal) and I have yet to use the sideways scroll on it. Why? Because most things on the computer are designed so I don't have to scroll sideways. Sorry, another pointless gimmick for Joe Smith to be interested in. They're just so stubborn and when they finally realize they have to actually change more than the asthetics of a product to make it sell, they advertise it to death and call it their own 'innovation'.

And while I'm on the Apple-bashing topic, there's another thing I'd like to mention. After years and years of yodeling their hardware superiority over 'conventional' PCs, it would seem as though they've been mistaken. They recently announced that they would be switching their computers to run on Intel hardware as opposed to IBM PowerPC stuff. Oops, makes you wonder doesn't it, why they would switch if their hardware is so superior. Maybe it's not so good and expensive as hell hmm? Now give me a PowerBook chassis, an Intel Pentium Mobile processor, a decent video card and I'll be in computer heaven. Of course, that'll be after being in a living hell for shelling out $3-4K for that kind of system.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but that seems to be the way with Apple. They always shoot themselves in the foot.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Rene wrote at 8/02/2005 12:51 p.m.

You leave Apple alone, they're geniuses I say, geniuses! I'm going to order this mouse when I get home so I can use it with my iBook (I've never been a big fan of scroll pads). It's beautiful and completely practical, I can't wait until I get to use one.

As for the Intel/PowerPC debate, Apple did that solely to dispell the myth. A dual 2.7GHz Mac runs Adobe Photoshop 98% faster, than a 3.6GHz P4 system. However, since people don't benchmark Mac's and PC's everyday, they merely glance at the Ghz, see that the P4 is higher and assume it's faster. Now, Mac's are no longer victim of the Megahertz myth.    



Blogger Charlie wrote at 8/02/2005 1:42 p.m.

Ahhh, but that's where you're wrong. While there are a few bastions of strength for the G5s, due to its PowerPC architecture, for the most part a comparable Opteron system would outperform a G5 based system. Not to mention the fact that there are now dual cored Opterons and Athon64s avaiable which would further increase the performance delta.

The Netburst architecture (which the P4 is based off of) is old technology. Intel has run it into the ground. The AMD K8 CPUs are much more efficient. When Apple moves over to Intel, they will actually more than likely be running a processor derived from the mobile line that Intel currently has. I doubt they'll use the P4 line since, it truly does perform worse than the current G5s. However, dual core mobile processors are much more efficient while running at relatively low speeds (~2-2.5GHz).    



Blogger Reese wrote at 8/03/2005 3:26 a.m.

I've been using a Mac for the past week, this is all very new to me, but I was told that "once you go Mac you never go back" (I made that one up myself... I think). I tend to disagree. It's too simplistic or something, I'm not a tool, I can handle the right hand click thank you very much. That's all I really have to say about Mac because frankly that's all I know. All this GHz and MHz talk makes my head hurt.    



Blogger Rene wrote at 8/03/2005 11:16 a.m.

Are you saying you don't like it at the current moment in time because it's too easy? Oh well, once you get the hang of it you'll soon look at the PC in digust.

What kind of Mac are you on? iMac G4, iMac G5, PowerBook, iBook, eMac or perhaps the grand daddy of them all, the PowerMac?    



Blogger Charlie wrote at 8/03/2005 11:22 a.m.

No I'm just assuming as a PC user, she has the competence to use more than one button. Instead of pressing the control key + clicking to bring up a menu, we prefer to just right click. For some odd reason that seems easier...    



Blogger Rene wrote at 8/03/2005 1:13 p.m.

Well with the new Mighty Mouse, you are able to right click. And besides, if the right click is your drug of choice you can always connect a standard 3 wheel mouse into your Mac.    



» Post a Comment